Visiting and working your allotment can be counted as your one off daily exercise according to Mr Gove’s very clear statement. Let me reassure you that going to your allotment in order to plant and collect produce is a recognised activity and GAS encourage you to keep up the good work of growing vegetables, fruit etc.
However, there are strict guidelines which must be observed if this facility is to remain open.
- Keep hand sanitiser (if you have it) with you and wash your hands regularly
- Use hand sanitiser/alcohol wipes/hot water and soap before opening and closing any gate locks in order to clean the padlock, gate handle and taps
- Observe “Social Distancing” with each other i.e. keep 2-3 metres apart
- Do not share tools
- Minimise the contact with each other for example no handshakes
- Do not wash your hands in water troughs
- All communal facilities are closed – this includes community plot facilities, toilets and machinery cabins
- Stay away from vulnerable individuals such as the elderly and those with underlying health conditions as much as possible
- If you display any symptoms of coronavirus or have someone in your household displaying symptoms stay at home and self-isolate for at least 14 days or until symptoms have passed.
- Keep to your own plot as much as possible
- Please note this is not a recreation area and is only open for those working on their allotment
- It is essential that no un-authorised people are allowed onto the sites for the duration of this emergency. If you do wish to bring someone to assist you, please ensure that that this is notified either to the Secretary or your SWarden. Careful consideration should be given to introducing anyone over 70, those with underlying illness or pregnant women.
GAS are in regular contact with all the wardens and if you are in any doubt or have any problems with visiting your site they are the person you should contact. Their contact details are on the noticeboard at each site. However, if you don’t have their details and can’t get to the site please contact one of the committee who will be happy to help you.
Chairman – Philippa Wright email@example.com 07774 263 568
Secretary – Jeanette Collings firstname.lastname@example.org 07835 869657
Treasurer – Andy Simmonds email@example.com 01483 567176
I hope this is helpful and reassuring to those who were unsure. With this lovely weather we are lucky to have been given this access and I do urge you to be particularly observant of the guidelines.
GAS hopes you all keep well and that these restrictions can be lifted soon. Enjoy your allotment.